Saturday 31 August 2013

The perfect treat: Baby Dutch Pancake







Guess who’s back?

Do you like my new look?

You know, I ask all these questions in almost every one of my posts and hardly anyone ever answers them. Come on, peeps, get involved! The Internet is a lovely bubble in which we are all a big happy family of anonymous members. You can be my politest friend in real life, but disguise yourself and tell me what utter rubbish this new design is and what a freak I am for sharing lists of food items and how to mix them in different ways on the internet. Or you can swear, but please don’t. Or you can just say hi. Or you can tell me how and why you like food. Or you can be someone who secretly loves me and you can confess your love here and I will never know who you are! (Or will I?... muahahahaha!*)


So I say, for kind of a new beginning, let’s have a resolution: I would love to hear from you, boys and girls. What do you think about the recipe? What do you think about the intro? What do you think about something random that happened to you this week? Would you like a specific recipe? Would you like less savoury recipes and more sweet? Would you like me to stop asking you questions? No? Would you like more pancake recipes because they are the best?

Another, more personal resolution I would like to share with you is that the way I cook will slightly change. I am now officially a working woman in London, which means that I am not in a little town with 3 shops with no access to a wider variety of ingredients, and also that I am not a very poor foreign student anymore. Thus, I can cook different things: dishes that are not compromised in the number and quality of ingredients because of budget, things that are more exciting, look nicer and taste better. Yay!!

You could comment that I am really sad and boring to be excited about such a silly thing, but you know what? You lose – think about all the silly things happening in everyone’s life, and now think about how not everyone notices these silly things, and now think about how there is so much more happiness is in my life. BAM, I win. And now think about how you could start being happy about silly things so we could win together.

For example, make this and be happy:




(I know I have already made a post about baby dutch pancakes, but it is fenomenal. You HAVE to try it!!) This is a recipe adapted from this recipe. I have made it a few times and I would definitely suggest a deeper smaller dish, rather than a shallower bigger one.


Ingredients for 2 hungry people:

4 large eggs

1 cup whole milk

1 cup wholemeal plain flour

1/4 cup granulated brown sugar

1/2 tsp finely grated orange zest

1/4 tsp salt

2 tbsp unsalted butter

2 cups strawberries (or any other berries)


Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and put your dish (a pan that can go in the oven is great, but you can also do it in a nice baking dish) in the oven to heat. Beat the eggs, add milk, flour, sugar, zest and salt. 


Carefully take out the dish out of the oven (it's hot!) and get that butter in there. Swirl it around to cover the surface and pour the batter in. Scatter half the berries and bake until puffed, cooked through and the top is set, just under 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining berries and confectioners sugar.


Enjoy!



* Sadly for me, I won't.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Easter! I'm using lemon zest this morning instead of the orange zest. I set the oven to 395 Fahrenheit.

    ReplyDelete