Sunday 28 September 2014

Snacks. Healthy Beetroot Crisps


I am quite the snacker. I sometimes just have a whole load of snacks for dinner. I know – it’s not great, but I just love picking at things! 

I attempt making good snacking choices, like nuts and seeds, veggies or fruit. Recently I got into bread with virgin olive oil, which is not great. What I’m also not too proud of is my never-ending love of peanut butter… Sometimes I watch TV with a new jar of peanut butter and suddenly I realise that it’s already only half-full... Oops! I do only buy 100% peanut butter to avoid the additives and naughty oils. The brands I like in the UK are NutShot (my absolute favourite), Biona and Peanut Butter and Co. 

However, my main snacking problem is that when I’m in the mood for a snack, there are usually not many options around! And I usually need it ‘n o w’. Which leaves me with shop-bought treats, which are not always the best – I like to know what exactly goes into my food and how is it cooked. 

But recently I discovered a snack that is easy to make and I actually really enjoy making it. Beetroot crisps! 


All you'll need are some raw beetroots, olive oil, salt and pepper.



The most time-consuming part of making beetroot crisps is shaping them. The quickest and easiest way is to do it with a mandoline, however I do not own one, so I do it with a peeler.

You want them nice and thin!

Put the peeled 'beetroot flakes' in a bowl and add some olive oil to lightly coat all of them.



Add some salt and pepper.



Mix well!



Lay them out on a tray. They can be close to each other as they will reduce in size.


Now this is the part where I have screwed up! It is very easy to burn them. It's embarrassing to admit it! I have burnt the first couple of trays by trying to do it for a very short time in a high temperature. Also, they tend to go soggy really quickly cooked this way.

What I found to be the best to keep them deliciously crispy and and beautiful colour is cook them in around 50C temperature for an hour or until crispy. Just keep checking and pull them out once you're happy with it!


Enjoy! How easy was that? 

What's your favourite snack?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this blog.I like this blog very much. really such an nice and decent information shared here with awesome stuff. Balanced Diet || Diet Plan || Balanced Diet Plan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete